Monday, February 26, 2007

Monday Night

Did you ever wake up, ready to go back to bed? That's how I felt yesterday morning. Nonetheless, I managed to get up, get myself, Layni and Mattias ready, and get to church on time. Mattias was pretty good, except for singing about poo, his latest obsession. What do you want to eat for breakfast? POO! What do you want to do now? POO on you! Well, at least he cracks himself up. He was very happy to head up to the nursery to play during Kidzone, although Layni was disappointed he couldn't be in her class. They have the most amazing love/hate relationship, which drives the rest of us crazy most of the time. Afterwards, we went to my favourite restaurant for lunch...McDonalds... and the kids burned off some energy in the play area. When we got home, I was so tired and achy; I headed to bed for a (I thought, anyway) well-deserved nap. During supper (steak and fries - God bless Jolie and Marty!) and while getting the kids ready for bed, we watched the Oscars. Things are so much more entertaining when you're watching them with other people, because often the other people are more entertaining than what you're watching! Jolie cracked me up with some of her reactions. Mostly, it just really made me want to watch movies! I remember when I lived by a toonie theatre (when they still had toonie theatres), I got to watch all the latest films. The only Oscar-nominated movies I've seen were Pirates of the Caribbean, The Devil Wears Prada, The Illusionist, Borat, Superman Returns, Cars and The Pursuit of Happyness - which were mostly nominated for things like makeup, visual effects etc. I really want to see Babel, The Queen, Little Miss Sunshine, Dreamgirls and An Inconvenient Truth, among others. I love stories, whether it's in book, movie or theatre form.

Today, we were unexpectedly hit with a storm where snowflakes were the size of golfballs, at least! The van got stuck when Jolie was driving the girls to school, so Marty had to go rescue everyone. Lysa was very grouchy today; I think she was really looking forward to seeing her friends and getting back into her school routine after a week off. And Layni and Mattias were at each other's throats all day. Why is it that children have endless reserves of energy and us adults barely made it through the day? Are we the only ones who occasionally consider sedating the children? We haven't; but oh, it's tempting some days! And Jolie is going through the hassle of reapplying for child care subsidy. For example, every year she has to submit proof that Lysa is still handicapped... it really pisses her off. Like it's not hard enough already. Anyway....
I had a lovely evening. Marty took care of all three kids while I went to a cake-decorating class at our church. My dear, gifted friend, Krista, was our instructor for the evening and successfully taught even me how to make a fondant rose. Otherwise, my cupcake was colourfully and enthusiastically decorated. I'm sure Layni will be very impressed! (She told me I didn't need to learn because I already knew how to decorate cakes. I love how six-year-olds are so impressed by Smarties and sprinkles!) I had a great time getting to hang out and laugh with friends (and not having to put kids to bed!) The funniest thing was while Krista was talking, I was staring at the demonstration cupcake, thinking how good that chocolate would taste with frosting and how I couldn't wait to dig in, when it hit me... it's chocolate! I can't eat it, because I gave up chocolate for Lent! What was I thinking? Oh yeah, Jesus died on a cross for me, so maybe I can manage 47 days without chocolate for Him. It just demonstrates the vast difference between Him and me, and our capacity for love and sacrifice. Sorry, Jesus - thanks for loving me anyway!

No comments: