Friday, March 02, 2007

Cats, Kids and Craziness

I'm lying in bed this morning, trying to summon the willpower to get up and get going, when I notice that it smells strongly of cat bum in my room. "That's funny, " I think, "I know Jolie just cleaned Jake's litter box out yesterday." Later, when the kids were off to school and I went to make my bed, I discovered a sizeable piece of poop on the pillow next to where my head was laying. Awesome. Now there have been some stray tiny poop balls left around that I figure he just forgot to shake off, but this was a good-sized piece of excrement. Now I'm wondering: Is Jake losing control of his faculties, or does he just hate me? Because I live downstairs where we keep his litter box and food and water bowls, Jake usually sleeps on his special cushion at the foot of my bed and we hang out a lot. I've been the recipient of dead birds, cat puke and the aforementioned miniscule poop balls. But this is pushing the limits of my endurance! I may have to banish him from my room. It's funny though; I've never been an animal person - of course, I was never a kid person either and look how that turned out - but they get to me on a one-to-one basis. Jake is getting older - he's eleven and a half - but as much of a pain in the butt as he can be, he's not allowed to die, because we'd be missing a part of the family. He's not just a cat; he's Jake. And that's why I forgive him for episodes like this. And it is kind of a funny story to tell. As long as it doesn't happen again!

Tonight, Layni somehow managed to scrape her knee while having her bath, so she went to get a Band-Aid from Marty's drawer in the bathroom. She comes to me, giggling and waving her fingers at me and at first, I think she's got on one of those gloves from the first aid kit, but I realize her whole hand isn't covered - just each one of her fingers. I almost died laughing when I figured out what they were, and told Layni to take them off and put them in the garbage and not touch those again. She thought they were "finger protectors"; I told her to ask Marty or Mommy what they were. There are some questions I am not paid enough to answer!

It's amazing how I just keep putting myself in the path of temptation time and time again, without even realizing it until I stop to think about it - for example, tonight when I suggested to Layni we watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's a great movie but really, couldn't I have waited until after Easter? I'm not always the brightest crayon in the box!

No comments: