Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Thank God for Sunny Days!

Yesterday, Jolie planted the garden while I hung out with Lysa, who was home again with a fever. We've got a herb garden, as well as planting potatoes, carrots, and beans and some strawberry plants. Jolie also picked up some flowers for our planters on the balcony, and sowed some wildflower seeds. It's beginning to feel like spring!

Jolie and I managed to get in a Scrabble game in between bathing and feeding kids, which I won with my highest score ever - 313 and my highest score for a single word, 80 points for entailed, which was a triple word score and bonus because I used up all my letters. We are such geeks!

We all munched on popcorn and watched Happy Feet, which was not the kind of movie I expected it to be. I'm still not sure if I liked it, though it was very interesting the perspective it took, and I don't think it will be one of the kids' favourites. We'll see. Mattias is presently obsessed with penguins, so he might prove me wrong.

Today, we all pitched in to clean up all the debris from the yard. Our green waste container was quickly filled with pinecones, pine needles, bush prunings, and branches from all those storms we had this winter. It felt good to be out in the sun working, though I could feel the blisters forming on my hands from all the raking. Our neighbour gave us some purple violets from her yard to plant in ours. Purple violets are the provincial flower of New Brunswick and in my experience, are rarely seen out here. One of the times I miss NB the most is in the spring when the lawn is covered with purple and white violets. I remember always looking for the first violets of spring so I could pick a little bouquet for my mom. So it was such an unexpected and wonderful gift to receive today.

Watched Lost tonight with Jolie and Marty - what the heck was that all about? I can't say anything specific because my best friend has to wait for Season 3 to come out on DVD to watch it - in a way I think she's lucky; that's how I saw the first two seasons and it's so hard to have to wait every week and lose that momentum. Anyway... I love the show and I hope the writers have a good plan to explain everything in the end. I don't mind the wait if there's the payoff!

By the way, Lysa woke up today with no fever. Thank God! And Jolie gave both the girls a haircut tonight. Lysa's hair is crazy with her curls - it looks so adorable! Layni looks cute too with her new haircut, though I always think she looks younger with her hair shorter. She is very pleased with herself - she wants to wear her I Make Cute Look Easy T-shirt tomorrow. That child has no problems with her self-esteem, that's for sure!

No comments: