Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Making Up For Lost Time

I have to remind myself that just because I didn't eat chocolate for a month and a half doesn't mean I now have to eat a month and half's worth of chocolate. But it's hard. Oh, the Cadbury Creme eggs are good, and the peanut butter cups and Caramilk bars... Thank You, God, for chocolate!

Last Thursday, the girls both got awards at their school's recognition ceremony. Layni for improvement in her reading (you go, girl!) and Lysa for being a good friend and making the school a better place (or something to that effect). So Jolie snapped pictures while I had breakfast with my Bible Study group at the Coquitlam Grill - a Belgian waffle and bacon, yum!

We were originally planning to visit the zoo on Friday, but that didn't work out, so we dyed our Easter eggs and went for a walk around Garbage Lake instead. Layni, Mattias, and I went to Kids Night Out at church, where they did an Easter egg hunt and talked about Jesus's death and resurrection.

Saturday, I went to the gym and made cookies to take to Marty's mom's house for Easter dinner on Sunday. And I stayed up until after midnight to eat a Cadbury Creme egg (and celebrate Jesus' resurrection, of course!)

Layni, Mattias, and I walked to church in the pouring rain on Sunday, but even that couldn't dampen my spirits because Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! I was grateful, however, that it had cleared up after the service for the walk home. I had been threatening the kids for days - If you're not good, you can't be in the Easter balloon parade! At our church, the kids all get a helium balloon that says "Jesus Is Alive" and has a sucker tied on the end so they don't all fly up to the ceiling, and they march up and down the aisles for the first part of the service while we sing. (Then after the service, they get to take a balloon and sucker home.) The kids loved it and they looked so adorable. I was so happy to stand and sing and at that moment, celebrating Jesus' resurrection life, the problems and worries of this world seemed as trivial as they really are in the light of eternity. I thought about a pastor who said, "Are you discouraged by the troubles of this world? You want to know how it all ends? Read the last chapter of the Bible!" And the truth is Jesus wins, and we are on the winners side! Hallelujah! It was so good to be reminded of that, and to experience that assurance on Sunday.

We all went to Marty's mother's apartment in Langley for dinner; his father and brother were also there. They had lots of food that I'm sure was perfectly delicious, but I stuck to the turkey, french fries and triple layer chocolate fudge cake - now that's how you break a chocolate fast! Jolie and I laughed at childhood pictures of Marty and his brother. Everyone's got those embarassing photos, don't they? What were we all thinking during those years? Why, why, did I perm my hair? I'm still traumatized. Oh, yes, most of my photos are ripe for mockery.

Monday, I spent running around getting last minute supplies, and that night, while Jolie and Marty were out having dinner with friends, Layni and I decorated the house for Marty's 30th birthday yesterday. We got strings of 30's to hang in the doorways, black balloons saying Oh no - the big 3-0!, streamers, party hats, noisemakers - you know the dollar store specials! Layni loves doing that - she's already planning how she wants to decorate for Jolie's 30th in December.
Oh, and we painted a big poster saying Happy 30th Birthday Marty! Love Janis, DeeDee, Elayna and Jake. We all did handprints (except Jake) and painted happy faces, stars, etc.

Oh, Easter morning, we found some poop under the fireplace mantel (Jake is getting more prone to leaving little surprises, as I'm sure I've mentioned before!) and Mattias and Layni were thrilled when Jolie told them that Jake must have come upon the Easter bunny, who came down the chimney like Santa Claus, and scared the poop out of him. Marty was not so impressed. So Jake gave him a dark chocolate bunny for his birthday and apologized. My favourite presents were the Got Prune Juice? shot glass Lysa got him (an inside joke) and the snails ("escargot") in garlic butter that I picked up from the dollar store as a joke. Poor Marty - I think he had a happy birthday, anyway, haha!

Today, I woke up with a sore throat, sniffles and feeling tired. Jolie is finally getting over the bug she's had for a week, and poor Lysa has been home from school the last couple days with a fever that comes and goes. So I lazed around today, playing backgammon on-line (or should I say getting my butt kicked by Krista "I haven't played in three years, really!"), reading my latest novel, Curse of the Pharoahs by Elizabeth Peters, and napping.

So there's the update on my life... how are you?!

1 comment:

Instructor Krista said...

Honest.... I truly haven't played in like 3 years!!! so.... same time today over fish sticks and rolo ice cream????? I could share if you wanna come here and join me! I have an old board somewhere!!!