Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Snow in April?

I would have thought it an April Fool's Day joke, but it was yesterday, the 2nd, when we woke up to a smattering of snow - more up at Layni and Lysa's school. It didn't last long once the sun came out, but still...

Last night, we all watched Dancing With the Stars and after the kids went to bed, we watched Blood Diamond starring Leonardo DiCaprio. I've never been a big fan (though I did watch him on Growing Pains back in the day) but he's done some really good work lately. It was a brutally intense movie, really good but hard to watch in a way. It made me think how blessed I am to live in my safe, protected North American cocoon and how grateful I am. Is that horrible? I just don't know if I would have the strength or courage to have my hands chopped off or a rifle pointed in my face and stand strong in faith. At least I'm honest?! And I can understand why people question "How can there be a loving God in the midst of all the monstrosities going on in the world today, most of which we're not even aware?" But I think, if there wasn't a loving, powerful God, there would be no hope and we might as well just give up and kill each other or ourselves or blow up the world. I mean, the world is bad enough as it is, but imagine a world utterly devoid of His grace or presence. That would be an utterly hopeless, meaningless existence. Oh Jesus, there is so much need in this world, so much tragedy, so much violence, so much injustice, so much sin and heartbreak and hopelessness. I pray that You will shine Your light even in the darkest of places, in the most hopeless of circumstances, in the midst of the most horrific evil. This whole world needs You so much, and so many don't even know their need. Please, help us all, have mercy on us all, and use each one of us to spread Your light and love and HOPE to each person in need. Use our cries to You to make a difference and thank You that one day, You will abolish all evil, all hopelessness, all heartbreak. Let us shine You in the lives of others. Thank You that You're bigger than all of this and that Your plan is greater than we can conceive. Help us to hang onto our faith especially in the darkest moments. We are weak but You are strong enough to carry us through. Thank You Jesus!

Layni and I played badminton in the backyard after supper. We managed to hit the birdie four times in a row between the two of us... yeah, we're total athletes, haha!

Well, I need to get to bed. Good night, friends, and may God fill your hearts with hope each day.

No comments: