Sunday, May 20, 2007

Peace and Quiet!

The girls went to visit their grandparents Friday after school and Mattias went camping with his mom this weekend, so it has been blissfully quiet and peaceful... well, for the mostpart. Jolie and Marty do have their moments, haha!

Friday night, I watched "The Second Chance" - a movie about a church in the inner city and its sister church in the rich white suburbs, starring Michael W. Smith. It contrasted how a church can become about money and power and comfort versus a church that struggles along, depending solely on God. My favourite lines in the movie went something like this: "Sometimes I can't stand the Bible. It says I have to love you and right now, I just want to beat the crap out of you." I loved this movie's honesty about what's right and wrong in the church, and how sometimes it's hard to know what God's will is or what Jesus would do.

Yesterday, Jolie and Marty and his parents and I went for the day to the Agassiz/Harrison area. It's really beautiful out there, but I was glad to get home - that little car is squishy with five adults in it, especially with Marty and his dad, who, God bless them, are very LOUD. Last night, I watched "Though None Go With Me", a movie based on the Jerry B. Jenkins book, reminiscent of "The Notebook." It was a good movie, but I couldn't help comparing it to the book, which I loved. I would recommend seeing the movie first, to enjoy it on its own terms, and then reading the book, which is always better. It is the story of a woman who commits her life to God and is overwhelmed by tragedy through the years, but finds that love and faith do triumph in the end.

I've been re-reading the Harry Potter books in anticipation of the coming movie and the last book in the series... I'm going to feel as devastated as when I watched the series finale of Gilmore Girls, I'm sure. Oh, I know I get too emotionally involved in the lives of fictional people - leave me alone! It's part of my charm; I feel deeply about everything. I've just begun "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", which was my favourite book. It's fun to re-read them all together, and now that I'm older; it's funny to see how you view things differently.

Well, it's 11:00 o'clock and I have to make the most of my last night of solitude...

No comments: