Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chuck and Larry

Kevin and I went to see the movie "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" Sunday night. It's an Adam Sandler comedy about two New York City firefighters who pretend to be gay partners so they can get benefits and pension for the one who is widowed with two children. It had its funny moments, though I thought there was a lot of gay stereotypes, and I thought it had a lot of heart. The thing that saddened me was the minister and other Christians in the movie who were portrayed as hateful bigots who called gays "faggots". What saddened me most was this is probably an all-too-true portrayal of many Christians. I was convicted that it is our calling to love everyone like Jesus, and leave the convicting of sin to the Holy Spirit. The other thing that spoke to me is how we judge people based on one aspect of their character... Adam Sandler's character was a womanizing jackass, but he loved his best friend so much, he was willing to fake a homosexual marriage to help him out. That spoke more strongly of love than the well-meaning Christians in the movie (not that I'm advising such actions!) It's funny how even Hollywood fluff can make you think. As we were told at my brother's wedding... "the greatest of these is love."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!??? Yes, i totally agree. I have never been one who likes to judge others sins, I think it is arrogant for anyone of us, Christian or not, to think that anyone else sins more than we do ourselves... Jesus calls us to love one another, and accept one another's mistakes as well as our triumphs.

Miss you!

Krista