Monday, July 02, 2007

Chuck E. Cheese and Dry Bones

Happy 140th Birthday, Canada! Layni and I celebrated by going to Chuck E. Cheese with Krista, Hailee and Maegan after church today. The cheese pizza (without sauce, of course) was delicious, Chuck E. was friendly, and my favourite, Skee Ball, was fun. They even played Veggie Tales videos there - I love my lips! Usta!

At supper time, I was in the bathroom downstairs when I heard Jolie yelling. Well, I assumed she was just yelling at Marty as usual so I didn't hurry, but when I came out, Layni informed me that Marty and Jolie had jumped in the car to chase a man on bike who had stolen our bags of cans for recycling. They've been stolen before (we keep them at the side of the house, as we don't have room inside) but not in broad daylight when we're all home and making a racket (Jolie and Marty were playing video games very competitively). Layni was concerned and wanted to call the police, but I held her off. Jolie and Marty said the guy must have stashed the bags somewhere and taken off (he had a headstart, though they had the car). Jolie is pissed and wants to stalk the bottle depot to catch him. She says it's the principle of the thing. It just bugs me that someone would come into our yard in broad daylight... this is not always the nicest area. Jolie and Marty see drug deals going down when they come home from work, and I witnessed a beating while taking the kids blackberry picking. It scares me how much the world has changed since I was a kid... or is it just the West Coast? Haha! Oh well, God is in control, so I try to keep the worrying to a minimum.

While Jolie and Marty were getting ready for work, Layni and I had a turn at the racing video game they were playing. She's six and she can drive better than me. Seriously, anyone watching me play this video game, would never tell me I need to learn to drive again. They would realize it's a lost cause :)

Tonight, Layni wanted me to read her favourite Bible story from Ezekiel 37 - about Ezekiel prophesying to the valley of dry bones that then come to life. She is such a weird kid. It's a really freaky story. What struck me is when God says, "These bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, 'Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off.'...you, my people, will know that I am the LORD, when I open your graves, and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it." (v.11,13-14)

God's been reminding me a lot lately that our hope is in Him. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed by the pain and problems loved ones are suffering or the horrors in this world (I just saw on TV that a mother microwaved her three week old baby to death) and I start to despair... but God reminds me not to look around and give up, but to look up to Him and be lifted up out of all this crap. I also read Psalm 33 with Layni tonight, about rejoicing in God, the creator of all, and how He is in control, not men with all their schemes and armies. It ends, "We wait in hope for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name. May Your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in You." That's my prayer for my loved ones tonight, and for all the suffering souls out there.

1 comment:

Pastor Derek said...

Hey Jan,

Hope all is well. Thought that Layni's favourite Bible story was an interesting one! Ezekiel's vision of the valley of dry bones! Whodda figured?

Look forward to seeing you when you're in town!