Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Seriously!

Layni brought home some math quizzes today and as I looked at them, all the questions either had a check mark or a happy face beside them. Now, if I was a kid, or heck, even as an adult, I would look at a happy face and think, Wow! I must have done really well! But no, the happy faces were beside all the answers she got WRONG! Are we so desperate to protect our kids' self-esteem that we can't even put an X beside a wrong answer anymore? SERIOUSLY!!!

On the bright side of life, IT WAS SUNNY TODAY!!! HALLELUJAH!!! It was so good to see LIGHT again. Jolie and I went to Fort Langley and went treasure-hunting at our two favourite antique shops. Those places make me so lustful... I love all that old-fashioned furniture and knick-knacks... LOVE IT! We found some great pieces for her to use to display her jewelery, which will, Godwilling, be showing at a market in Yaletown the 1st and 2nd of December. She is an amazing artist and I so want her to be able to make a living with her jewelery so she doesn't have to work in a stinky, stressful bar anymore, and can be at home with the kids. Don't worry, I won't be out of a job though... there's always more than enough work to go around here!

After school, Layni got on her bike and we went to the park. She is a total monkey on those monkey bars - I certainly am not strong enough to do that! I enjoy the swings... a perpetual favourite since childhood.

And finally, THANK GOD!, Mark Cuban got kicked off Dancing With the Stars... I don't know who should be next to go... I'm kind of attached to them all now. Layni has switched her allegiance from Jennie Garth to Sabrina Bryan. I like Jane Seymour... she's so lovely and elegant and shows that even at 56, you can still bust a move!

4 comments:

Heather said...

That's funny about the happy faces...never heard of that one. Personally, I circle them boldly so the kids KNOW which ones to correct. I have been known to use x's too! I'm so cruel.

Family Of Five said...

That is a funny point... I am all for x's. Lenore also went to a school when she was younger who didn't believe in having placements for sports day. There was no keeping track of score or any 'winners' or 'loosers'. We are in a society of professional sports and reality that if you give your boss something that is wrong.... they will tell you it is wrong! Some teachers I have seen put a c beside the wrong ones for needs correction. I have also seen some who circle the wrong ones like Heather said. Sometimes by protecting them from can only make them more sensitive.

Krickit said...

Yes... one of my favourite quotes is from the Incredibles... "Society is always looking for new ways to celebrate mediocrity" or however you spell that... Hey Heather... wanna circle that word with a big red pen? hee hee!!! just kidding!

Love you friend!

Janis said...

I'm all about promoting a child's self-esteem, especially as I had NO self-esteem as a child; however, I can honestly say I was never traumatized by getting x's by my wrong answers. How are they supposed to learn? And how will they ever survive in the "real" world if we don't teach them how to deal with failure and mistakes now? I'm still shaking my head at that teacher!