Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Have a Friend...

I have a friend who inspires me daily...

through a freak accident, followed by negligence in her treatment after the accident by the doctors, she cannot walk, talk, feed herself, go to the bathroom by herself... do hundreds of things I take for granted every day. She will never get married, have children, or a fulfilling occupation...

I can't imagine her frustration in not being able to communicate clearly when she wants something or is feeling pain...

it breaks my heart to think of all that could have been, that should have been, and I wonder why?

I'll never get that answer down here on earth...

but she doesn't spend her days feeling sorry for herself. She spends her days enjoying life, enjoying all the things she CAN do...

She LOVES music, she loves to kick - and don't underestimate the strength she has! I tried to kick like she does, and couldn't even make it through a whole song! And she does it for hours every day! She loves to laugh... she finds joy in the smallest things - the sound of the blender, Marty whistling, the clashing sound of us putting the dishes away... and she makes us laugh too - laugh until we cry, which makes her laugh harder and the wonderful cycle goes round and round with her contagious laughter egging us on. She loves to go for walks... the bumpier the better! She is such a little daredevil - if she could, she'd be bungee jumping and riding roller coasters... she's so pleased with herself when she actually gets the cracker she's holding into her mouth... she loves her food too! And splashing in the water... she enjoys all the simple, beautiful things in life that we never slow down and pay attention to, until she makes us. She's usually very patient too, putting up with the noise and frantic activity of our household... she loves it when we cuddle in bed together and read stories... and she LOVES it when we sing to her; she doesn't care if we can carry a tune or not...

I love my little buddy, Deedee, who will be seven in December. Sometimes I wonder what she would have been like if she hadn't stopped breathing when she was ten weeks old (and if the doctors had been quicker to treat her after), compared to her twin sister, Elayna. But life is what it is, and Deedee is a delightful blessing the way she is. Sometimes I wonder if her sacrifice in this lifetime is being the way she is, so we can learn from her... I don't know. We always say Deedee knows everything, she's just not telling... she probably has all the wisdom in the world locked up inside her, and laughs at us in all our foolishness... I love her for who she is, but I look forward to knowing her in all her fullness and wholeness in heaven, when she'll finally be able to tell us all the things inside her. I don't know what the future here on earth holds for her, but I'm trusting that God will hold her through it all, and one day in heaven, she'll be running and speaking for herself...

sometimes that seems really far away though.

I love you, my dear little buddy... thank you for blessing me every day... and thank You, God, for her, just as she is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometime I want to say something but not just by words. Words cannot be felt... it should be more than that. This is one occassion of that kind. good post.

Me said...

What a beautifully put piece Janis! You made me tear up quite a bit there... Lysa is a very lucky girl to have you aroung to care for her, and really understand, and try to understand more and more each day. And you are a very lucky lady to have such a speacial little buddy to amaze and astound you daily! I am sure that you are every bit as much of a blessing to her as she is to you, and all those around her.

It's sometimes hard for us to fathom how God could have intended for things like this to happen... surely His will wasn't for suffering, frustration, or disability... yet, in His amazing grace, He takes our brokeness, and uses it for good... we may make a mess of things down here, like those doctors whose mistake contributed to Lysa's brain damage, but God, that master choreographer, found a perfect way to turn her disability into a unique blessing, and empowered Lysa in ways that the rest of us can only imagine... All we can do is sit back and be amazed over and over again at how incredibly precious human life is... all human life! One day, we will all be able to hear such stories of triumph that was born from trauma... I know DeeDee's story will be one of them! I can't wait for that day!

shawnio67 said...

I have read a few of your posts in the past, and they always move me. I am told by Krista when one touches her or is inspiring, or just that I should read one, so I do. I find this one particularly moving, and I thank you for sharing it with us all.

Heather said...

Okay...now that I'm all weepy....what a beautiful piece about your relationship with DeeDee. We have a delightful student in Grade 1 who also suffered some brain damage as a an infant. Every day when I see her in her wheelchair or walker at school, she offers me this amazing smile....pure joy! It always makes my day. What a neat thought about knowing her in all her fullness in heaven.

Ron T said...

I stumbled across your blog while checking out Houghton Alum links. I don't read it often...only when the bookmark catches my eye or I feel nostalgic. ouch, didn't think about that eye part until I typed it :( But in my tired, busy, sometimes lonely world, your recent posts are an encouragement.

They shatter my cynicism about why anyone would blog. I have to confess, I've sometimes thought of bloggers as people with too much time on their hands, pouring their heart and soul into cyberspace because it's cheap "therapy," hoping someone cares enough to listen. But forgive those ugly thoughts.

You have a community here, a network of friends, and a ministry. Each post has comments, each comment comes from a life you've touched. I know we had some converstaions about what makes one wealthy, right? By what you describe here, you're pretty rich. I think God will continue to bless your efforts to serve and love him "as best you know how."