Monday, November 12, 2007

The Prayer I Would Have Prayed...

I was asked earlier this week to participate in my church's Remembrance Day service by praying for "Peace and Reconciliation in our City, Community, and Church." Alas, Jolie was going to drop me and the kids off on her way to work, so we wouldn't have to walk in the rain, but we ended up being late and I missed the opportunity. I was so frustrated and angry this morning (ironic, considering what I was supposed to pray for)... well, it's been all weekend really... with myself, Marty, Jolie, the kids... maybe it's for the best I didn't pray, haha. Anyway, this is the prayer I would have prayed...

"Jesus, You are the Prince of Peace. It's easy to pray for peace and reconciliation, hoping You'll throw a covering of peace down upon us all and make everything all better, but alas, You've given us all free will, and the much harder task of seeking peace and pursuing it ourselves. I can't ask for peace and reconciliation and unity, unless I personally am willing to work for it. The best things may be simple, but they're never easy. It requires hard work, sacrifice, time, and energy. Lord, I pray for every single person here, but mostly I pray for myself, for it begins with me... let ME seek peace and pursue it... first with You, for it all begins with You. I have no capability of my own to find peace or make peace apart from You. Jesus, let me every day find my personal peace in You, not in the security of money or a job or my friends or family or home... any of which could be taken away at any moment, but in You, who can never be taken away, in Your love and grace and forgiveness... and may I then practice that peace in my actions with the people I love, strangers I meet, all those You bring into my life. May I be an example of seeking peace and pursuing it, of finding it and sharing it freely. Lord, help us all to "one another" - love one another, honour one another above ourselves, forgive one another, look out for one another's interests, bear one another's burdens. Every day, every moment, we have an opportunity, help us to take it and make the most of it... to bless and not to curse, to love and not to hate, to forgive and not to hold onto anger and resentment (oh Lord, you know I need help with that one!), to sacrifice and not just to look out for ourselves... You set the example, Jesus - help us to follow it. Lord, I want peace and reconciliation in our city, in our community and in our church. Help me to want it enough to change my heart and my actions to pursue it, that I might start a change reaction within our church, our community and our city. Lord, I pray this for each one of us, but mostly for myself, because it has to start with me... I can't make anyone else do it, I can only do it myself. Jesus, Prince of Peace, reign in each of our hearts, and to You be all the honour and all the glory and all the praise, and most of all, all our love. In Your beautiful, all-powerful name I pray, amen."

... or something like that :)

1 comment:

Krickit said...

What powerful words Janis. You are very gifted in prayer. I love how you put it... that it begins with ME... you are very right.

Amen to that sister!