Monday, December 17, 2007

Innocence Lost

Yesterday, Layni and I went to see "Enchanted" with our friends Shelley and her daughter Lenore. I LOVED IT! It was so sweet and funny and I just had a big smile on my face the entire movie... delightful! There are very few movies anymore that capture that sense of innocence and wonder and remind us of how we used to be. Even though I've had a relatively sheltered life and haven't endured the hardships many other people have suffered (though I've had enough for my liking, thank you very much!), I realize how jaded and cynical I often am. Movies like "Elf" or "13 Going on 30" or "Big" remind us of what it's like to see the world through the eyes of a child. It makes me think of Jesus saying, "Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3) How much we miss out on as we "grow up" - joy, trust, unconditional love, a sense of wonder and awe, exuberance, unself-consciousness... oh God, teach me to be like a little child again.

1 comment:

Krickit said...

It's a fantastic show, isn't it! I'm glad you guys had fun!