Wednesday, January 02, 2008

4 and 7

It's a new year, and the December Christmas and birthday madness is over. Our back deck is overflowing with recycled boxes from kids' toys and parcels and the kids' rooms are overflowing with all their new stuff... and yeah, so is mine! Mattias turned 4 and the girls turned 7. I can't believe I've been with them since they were five months old and now, they are seven! When did they grow up? Where have the last six and a half years gone? Wow. I never would have anticipated the joy of watching two (now three) beautiful kids grow up, learning new stuff and becoming more themselves every day. It's amazing and I feel so blessed to have them all in my life, and I am so grateful I don't have to work a nine-to-five job that would suck my soul out, instead of nourishing it. We had presents and cupcakes at home for their birthday; they will be having a skating party with their friends in a couple weeks. And of course, I had to decorate with streamers and balloons, because a birthday is not a birthday without those high-tech decorations, haha (the world according to Layni). I was home with the kids for New Year's Eve... Mattias fell asleep at 11:30 and Layni, Lysa and I were reading a bedtime story when we heard firecrackers going off (all the clocks in the house tell a different time, so we missed the exact "big moment"). New Year's Day, we all went for a big walk (and Layni took her bike out for the first time this year... couldn't do that in NB for sure!). It struck me once again that if Lysa was able to walk and talk, she would be a total menace to society... she has such a wicked sense of humour and loves to start trouble... just laughs her head off. For example, kicking her shoes off and watching them get run over by the stroller... that's one of her favourite games... or getting Layni or Mattias to do "bad" things and then laughing her head off when we yell at them... "But we were just making DeeDee laugh!" they protest. They are a hilarious bunch - as well as a pain in the ass, too often! Well, I should go check on the monsters and herd them into bed. Praying all the best for my loved ones in this new year... God bless you!

No comments: