Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Timeless Prayer

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is error, the truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.


This prayer was written by St. Francis of Assisi in the early 13th century. I think it is one of the most beautiful and powerful prayers I've ever prayed; so simple, yet so profound. Oh God, may I be an instrument of Your peace, and may I seek to love and give, rather than always thinking of myself... that's easy to do in the midst of depression, but when I reach out to others, I find my own burdens easier to carry. Oh Lord, may I become a little bit more like You each day, to the benefit of myself and others. And thank You for loving me even when I'm my most selfish and hateful. You are so gracious; help me to be more gracious to myself and others. Thank You for Your faithfulness, even when I'm not. What would I do without You?

2 comments:

Krickit said...

I've heard that prayer before, and have always thought it was so humbling.

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Heather said...

One of my favourites too...we used to sing it as a song in youth group! Oh, and thanks for the barley toys/candy. They are yummy! I love the cute little shapes. The girls thought they were adorable.