Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Blessing

Dear Jesus,
Bless the person who stole my umbrella today. I wouldn't mind so much if it had been the red one or green one or one of the black ones, but it was my blue one with the happy faces that cheered me up on dark, rainy days. And I know it's sort of ridiculous to complain about this, but it was just so sneaky and rude! I guess, that's pretty much a part of stealing anything, but still... thank you that when I came out of the library, it was snowing instead of pouring rain, so that I didn't get quite as soaked one the way home. And the snow is really pretty too. I probably wouldn't feel as unforgiving if it was someone who really needed an umbrella, rather than someone who was just being a jerk. I hope they don't just throw it away on the side of the road either... they stole my favourite umbrella, so they better appreciate it! God, I don't know who did it, but whoever it was, I pray that you would bless them, and that instead of just stealing an umbrella, they stole a blessing too. I pray that You would keep them warm and dry, and fill their lives with smiles. I pray most of all that they would know Your love and forgiveness and grace, and that it would set them free, so they can be a blessing to others. I pray that one day in heaven, I will meet the person who stole my umbrella, and we can exchange hugs and stories and praise Your name together forever. I pray this, Jesus, in Your precious and all-powerful name, amen.

3 comments:

Krickit said...

Janis, you are an inspiration to me... I find it so hard to do things like this, and I marvel over your ability to put your emotions aside and pray for others even when you have been hurt by them in some way, be it a missing umbrella or whatever! I hope that someday I can get to that point! But, MAN it's hard!!!

I hope you get a nicer umbrella to replace your other one, hopefully one that's even more cheerful looking!

Fierce Girl said...

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you and if anyone takes what belongs to you do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

Luke 6:27-31

Well done, dear friend. It's easy to speak the name of Christ; much harder to live it. Your kind and generous spirit speaks louder and stronger than any words.

Zirbert said...

Hi, Janis,

I loved this post. Plenty of truth and grace, but it made me laugh a lot too.

And yes, I'm who you think I am!