Friday, March 14, 2008

Blast From the Past

Tonight, as I popped popcorn to munch while watching The Devil Wears Prada, a song we used to sing at Circle Square Ranch popped into my head... I probably haven't thought of this song in ten years...

I don't wanna be, I don't wanna be a casual Christian,
I don't wanna live, I don't wanna live a lukewarm life.
I just wanna light up the night with an everlasting light,
I don't wanna live a casual Christian life.

It killed me to type out wanna instead of want to, but it does sound better when singing it! Anyway, it just reminded me of how I want to live. I know I suck at it a lot of the time... I watch too much TV instead of devouring God's Word, I make more time to read than to pray, I want to be comfortable and happy more than doing what God says is right and should be my priority... but I want to want Jesus more than anything... I want to slowly but steadily become more like Him, have more of an eternal perspective instead of just worrying about the here and now, grow in my faith and integrate it into my everyday life, whether I'm going to the movies or volunteering in the church nursery or giving the kids their baths or going on a shopping spree at the dollar store (see, that doesn't sound very holy at all... can you have a holy shopping spree? Hmmm....) Jesus says in Revelation 4:16, "So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth." You know, I agree with my mom that unless you're brushing your teeth, spitting is gross... I don't want to make Jesus want to spit me out... I don't want to be a casual Christian. I want to live what I believe... even the hard parts.

2 comments:

Krickit said...

Janis, I have always found you to be a woman on fire for God... I honestly don't think God expects you to never go to the movies, to never visit the dollar store or overindulge in popcorn! We are instructed to be "In the world, but not of it" To me I think it's more a matter of the heart... you still have to be "In" this world, submerging in the culture, making a difference to those around you... and if you are TOO separated, TOO disconnected from what your non believing neighbour lives, knows, does... they can't really relate to you, or hear your message... see your example... does this make any sense???

I'm not saying forget your Bible, and go to the theatre... God wants you to take Him with you everywhere, in your heart, in your soul and in your mind... go to the movies, and view it with Christian eyes, share your opinions of it with a Christian viewpoint to others, go to the dollar store, and praise God for the gift of shopping, finding little pleasures that you can enjoy... God just wants to be included, he see's your heart Janis... he knows you love him passionately...

We are not perfect, and we should always be striving for ways to better ourselves in our faith, however, don't let the enemy put feelings of guilt in your heart about simple things that God can rejoice in your pleasure as well... It's all about ballance... you can't go too much either way, you need to put God first of course... but God wants you to have a happy life too! It's like that runner guy who said that God made him fast, and when he ran, he felt God's pleasure...

God rejoices when we are doing things that we love, He's like any parent who loves watching us use our talents, our gifts, finding passion and fun in the life he has blessed us with! Don't forget that aspect too!

I have always thought of you as a woman of Beautiful Faith... I know I'm not God, and can't see your heart, but I don't think I have to... your actions, words, and the thoughts you share on here have always impressed that upon me! Thanks for the reminders though, I've been feeling a little off ballance lately, and I love how I can always count on you to be that steel sharpening steel for me!

Krickit said...

wow that was long... sorry!