Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I Love...

... how Layni invites everyone to lunch after church on Sunday mornings. Not just the families with kids her own age... families with younger kids, families with teenagers, older ladies, middle-age single dads, young single women... it matters not to her. She considers them all friends that she would love to eat and chat with! I love how confident she is and how safe she feels. When I was her age, I was terrified of people, even my own extended family members... I hid in my room when anyone came to our house, and was terrified if I had to leave the safety of my room to go to the bathroom (which was next door, but since we had such a small, open house, it was visible to both the kitchen and living room). I hope she always has that confidence and that unconditional, accepting love of everyone. When we grow older, we tend to limit ourselves, thinking I have to be friends with people my age, or people who are married (or single) like me, or who have kids (or don't have kids) like me, who have my educational/social/cultural/ethnic/religious/economic/geographical background. We limit ourselves so much, and in the process, deny ourselves so much! My biggest problem is my shyness or feeling like I'm not "good enough" or "cool enough" or "smart enough" to be someone's friend... yes, I STILL struggle with that, though I've gotten A LOT better! My best friend could testify that I was almost a mute, completely introverted recluse when she first met me (much to her frustration!) in Grade 7... God has brought me a LONG way since then, THANK YOU JESUS! Please keep working on me and take away my fears, so that I can show people all the love in my heart - the love that I know, thanks to You!

4 comments:

HomeSchooler said...

Hey, you always told me that it wasn't because you were "shy" but because I talked enough for the both of us and you could never get a word in edgewise! That said, I know that I haven't exactly become any less talkative - but somehow you get to say plenty now... Well, maybe not plenty, but really quite a lot! And I'm SO GLAD that Layni doesn't pick her friends only according to her peer group. Remember the speech on inter-generational friendship? I'm going to bed now. Love you!

Janis said...

Well, it wasn't JUST because I was shy... I mean, you really DIDN'T pause for breath or anyone else to speak either! And yeah, I do get to talk more now... like when your mouth is full of food, haha!

Family Of Five said...

You are totally cool enough! :)

Krickit said...

I love how even when we feel we are not enough, when we know we are less than perfect... Jesus takes all our imperfections, all our insecurities, all our shortcomings and makes up for what we lack!

Personally I think you are good enough, smart enough and cool enough, and I know that part of what makes you so good, smart and cool, is the light of Jesus that shines through you that everyone sees! You can see the 'Family Resemblance' in you, and that makes you more than good enough, more than smart enough and more than cool enough!

Love you, my Sister In Christ!