Thursday, March 20, 2008

Miscellaneous Tidbits from the Last Couple Weeks

*** A couple weeks ago, a group of women from my church went to a Beth Moore conference, and it was WONDERFUL! I went to the Women of Faith conference a couple years ago, and it was fantastic, but it was more Christian inspirational speakers, while Beth Moore is a hardcore Bible teacher. The main Scripture we studied (and memorized... and I suck at memorizing things!) was from Hebrews 4:12-13. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to divide soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It judges (or discerns) the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight." I had just been saying how I needed some inspiration in my life, and I found some there in her encouraging and challenging message. I also really enjoyed getting to know some of the ladies from my church better. And I realized how "old" I am, that the wonderful praise and worship band gave me a giant headache... they were great, but I found it so loud - I would never survive a rock concert!

*** Lysa went with Layni and me to church one Sunday morning, and it was wonderful to see how far she's come. When she was younger, she couldn't bear any outside stimulation... she would freak out if there was anyone other than Jolie, myself or Layni around... it would take her an hour or two to adjust to even people she saw on a semi-regular basis, like her grandparents or pediatric nurse. When she started school, going to assemblies in the gymnasium was very difficult... all the noise, the acoustics, so much going on... but now she generally does very well, and is excited to be there. In fact last week, she received an award in front of the whole school for "Demonstrating excellent effort and progress in her communication skills." She waves hello and good-bye, says "uh" for "up" (like I want to get up out of my chair or I went to get up and go for a walk), says "La-nee" for Layni, meows with Jake, and is currently trying to say "cookie"... She taps her left hand for yes and shakes her head for no (though she often likes to shake her head "No!" as a joke!) and uses a big mack button with recorded messages which she can hit with her hand to "talk"... Like when someone is reading a book, she can hit the button to say, "Turn the page." At church, she LOVES the music, and when it's relatively quiet when Pastor Doug is preaching the sermon, she'll "yell"... but she's so cute, she can get away with it. She loves to kick and dance... I am just so proud of her, and she brings so much joy to all of us!

*** I got bookshelves! Marty got me three tall bookshelves from Ikea, so two of my old short ones went into the girls' room to help them get organized, and finally all of my books are off the floor and on shelves... well, except the ones in storage. I have a LOT of books... they're my addiction. And to be honest, I'll probably need to get another bookshelf sooner than later, even though I have four tall ones, and one short one in my room. As Layni says, I've got my own library! (So if you ever need a book to read, come on over!) I tell Marty it's like Jolie collecting shoes or him with his computer stuff... mine just takes up more room! Oh, I do LOVE books... now if I only had time to read them all!

*** Dancing with the Stars is back! It's fun for the whole family! Even Marty will watch to see Edyta dance - his Polish princess, hee hee. Who's smoking hot. Unfortunately for Jolie and me, our favourite Maks, (who's smoking hot!) is taking a break this season... boo hoo hoo!

*** The girls went to their grandparents for the past couple days of spring break so we adults have had the past couple days off. We always have the best intentions of all the things we will do and accomplish without little people running around, but we end up mostly vegging out and enjoying the peace and quiet. Sleeping in, staying up late, hanging out together... Tuesday night, we went to see "Semi-Pro", starring Will Ferrell. I think it's the first time in the two and a half years since Marty came into our lives, that we have all been out together... wow! It was a silly movie but we enjoyed it... it's always more fun when you're with people, and you enjoy laughing at them laugh as much as what they're laughing at! And Jolie and Marty are hilarious together, because they're so opposite in so many ways, that I laugh my head off at Marty looking at Jolie, with a look on his face, "Why are you laughing? That's not funny... you're so weird!" and Jolie laughing even harder.

*** Went to see "Definitely, Maybe" last night with a friend... Wow! I was out two nights in a row! I'm NEVER out at night, period! It was a cute movie and we had coffee and chatted for a long time afterwards... it was a great night out.

*** I've been struggling with being so tired and unmotivated and stressed out and overwhelmed. Sometimes it's hard to have grace for myself, and say maybe you need more rest right now, or to do some fun things, and take care of yourself. I feel like I should be doing all these things and not being so "lazy" or whatever... I am so blessed to have supportive, loving friends who encourage me through the tough times. Thank you guys!

*** Last Sunday at church, several people were baptized and shared what God had done in their lives. I saw one friend, who I've been praying for for years and wondered if he would ever change, get up there and testify to what God has done in his life, and you can see he is a different person... and moments like that, you're like "Wow... God, You are so good and faithful, even when we doubt You... Thank You, Jesus!!!" It was an amazing and wonderful day, and as much as we were celebrating in our church on Sunday, I imagine that the celebration in heaven was even greater! It makes me think of when Jesus said, (in Luke 15:7) "I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent" and later in verse 10, "In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Well, I've only got a couple hours before all the kids are here, so I should go enjoy the last bit of peace and quiet before this crazy weekend starts!

1 comment:

Krista said...

glad you got a break, that's good to hear! And great to hear what you've been up to lately!