Monday, March 03, 2008

You Love the World (and you're avoiding Me)

I took a Keith Green CD that I haven't listened to in awhile (though he's one of my favourite singer/songwriters) to listen to at the gym today. This song jumped out at me. I so often get distracted by the things of this world. I love movies, books, magazines, music, TV shows (and not necessarily "Christian" ones either). These things aren't necessarily bad, but I shouldn't be letting them get in the way of my relationship with Jesus. He should be my Number One, and sadly, He often isn't.

I want you here with Me.
But you've been keeping other company.
You can't sit still, it's plain to see.
You love the world and you're avoiding Me.

My word sits there upon your desk.
But you love your books and magazines the best.
Prefer the light of your TV.
You love the world, and you're avoiding Me.

You used to pray, you were so brave.
Now you can't keep even one appointment we've made.
Oh I gave My blood, to save your life.
Tell me, tell me, is it right?
Will you leave Me here alone again tonight?

Well I love you, still more and more.
But you're fighting everything I'm working for.
You're acting like My enemy.
You love the world and you're avoiding Me.

These other loves, they're hurting you.
If you end up losing Me, then what will you do?
Oh, I gave My blood, to save your life.
Tell me, tell me, is it right?
Will you leave Me here alone again tonight?

Well, I want you, here with Me.
But you've been keeping other company.
Prefer the light of your TV.
You love the world, and you're avoiding Me.
You love the world, you love the world,
You love the world and you're avoiding Me.
Oh, you love the world.
You love the world and you're avoiding Me.


Jesus, forgive me. After all You've done for me, all the mercy and grace You've poured out on me again and again, and I so often treat You like crap. I'm sorry, Lord. To be honest, I'll probably do it again and again, but please don't give up on me. Give me a kick in the ass when I need it, because I want to want You more than anything else in the world, and I'm hoping someday it won't be the everyday struggle it is for me now. Thank You, Jesus, for loving me even when I'm unloveable. Teach me to love like You.

1 comment:

Krickit said...

Thank you for sharing this Janis.