Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

The kids are in bed, Marty is at work and Jolie and I are hanging out downstairs, listening to records; she's working while I check my email. I just got up to flip over the record and tripped over the laundry basket and flew halfway across the room. No, I'm not hurt, thank you for asking. Jolie asked about ten minutes after the incident, when she had stopped laughing long enough to form words. It reminds me of the time we all dressed up as ghosts for Halloween because we thought it would be such an easy costume. Layni tripped on her bedsheet and fell down. I tried to comfort the crying, hysterical child while Jolie rolled around on the sidewalk, hysterical herself, with laughter. She says people falling down is just funny. So note to all of you, if you fall down and seriously hurt yourself, you better pray there's someone other than Jolie around to help you!

Layni woke me up at 1:30 this morning with some crazy story about Lysa... finally I said, "Is Lysa awake? Is she whining?" After staring at me for a few moments, Layni replied, "Yes." I think she was half-asleep and dreaming. When I went upstairs, I found Lysa screaming and crying. Funny how they can be fine one day, and wake up sick the next. I think she has a bit of a cold, so I gave her a syringe of Pediasure, some water and cold medicine and brought her into my bed to snuggle. We ended up listening to a CD of silly songs all night (thank God for the "Repeat All" button on CD players!) and sleeping in this morning. I was just telling a friend yesterday that my hours are unpredictable!

Marty and Jolie took Layni and Mattias out to Langley to have dinner with Marty's mom and brother. Lysa and I stayed home and went out for a long walk, enjoyed the fresh air and got some CDs from the library. Tonight, after tucking the kids into bed, Jolie and I sat down to Desperate Housewives, our recent Sunday night tradition.

I called my mom to wish her a happy Mother's day, of course. I love my mom... she is so much fun, funny, generous, kind, honest, loving... the absolute best. I am SO grateful to have her in my life, and can't wait to see her in the fall!

Well, I'm going to get off the computer and get to bed at a reasonable hour, hopefully. I've been re-reading Anne of Green Gables... my mother's copy from when she was a girl... and I'm almost done. Such a classic!

And oh yes, the best Mother's Day present of all... Jolie had her last shift at the Foggy Dew last night... she's FREE!!! She may fill in occasionally when needed, but now it's up to her, she can say no if she wants to... now the jewelery business just needs to take off and make a profit, and we'll be set!

No comments: