Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Canada Day Excitement... EARLY in the Morning!

First of all, I have to say I am really craving cake tonight. I'm going to have to settle for a chocolate bar instead.

Last night, Layni and I went to see Kung Fu Panda and we both loved it! I love Jack Black... he's just so cute in his enthusiasm (even as an animated panda bear) and I love that he's not your typical leading man and that he's not your typical comedian in that he's pretty clean. Shallow Hal is one of my favourite movies; The Holiday; School of Rock... all excellent.

After getting the kids into bed, the grown-ups watched There Will Be Blood, which Marty has been wanting to see for months. It's a very well-acted and well-shot movie, but I didn't enjoy it. Bizarre is the primary word that comes to mind. Maybe it's because I didn't relate to or care about the people or things in the movie. I'd recommend not wasting your 2 1/2 hours, but Marty and Jolie both seemed to like it. We ended up getting into bed at 2:30 AM (way too late for me!).

Three hours later, we were all awake. Our next-door neighbour woke us up to alert us that our house was about to flood. They already had a foot of water in their basement and their backyard was a lake. The water was flowing past our front door and was creeping up to the house in the backyard. Evidently, thieves had come in the middle of the night and tried to steal (or maybe succeeded, I'm not sure) copper piping from the townhouses being built next to our neighbour's house, and had broken the water main. Finally, after many frantic phone calls on the neighbour's part to the police, fire department, anyone they could think of, someone from the city came and turned off the water... just in time to save our house, THANK GOD!

Afterwards, I was laying in bed, enjoying the early morning sunshine, thanking God that we did not have to deal with the repercussions of a flood, and feeling a little guilty (I must have some Catholic blood in me from somewhere) that we were so blessed but our neighbours weren't. As I prayed for them, I realized that as the Bible says, the rain falls on the just and the unjust, and so do blessings. This was our day for a blessing and I am so grateful. I hope the next time I'm wading through the flood waters, I remember and thank God for all the times I've been spared, and thank Him for all those who were spared, and ask Him for the grace to wade through.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hmmmm...I'm puzzled by your first sentence. I don't think I've ever "settled" for a chocolate bar! LOL! You must really love cake.