Friday, July 25, 2008

Stressed Out, Sick, Now Recovering...

A couple of weeks ago was our church's Daily Vacation Bible School. Last year, I did two days of the kindergarten story time before heading home to NB for my vacation and I swore NEVER AGAIN. This year's coordinator called me up, and I told her I would be happy to volunteer, I just didn't want to be a leader or teacher. A couple minutes later, I hung up the phone, wondering what had just happened and how I had ended up saying yes to doing the kindergarten story-time again... I told Jolie next year, I'm just going to have to not answer the phone!

Thankfully, I was sharing story-telling duties with another lady in our church who also wondered how she had ended up saying yes! It was very much out of both of our comfort zones, which was probably really good for us, but I found it incredibly stressful. (Like couldn't sleep, digestive system screwed up, freaking out stressful.) I found it much more stressful than speaking in front of a group of adults (which is also stressful, don't get me wrong!) - maybe because I feel such a responsibility that the kids both have lots of fun and good memories as well as learning about God and His love for them - and I felt completely inadequate to the task! However, I brought in my buddy "Lester" - an orange, very loud squawky bird of DeeDee's, to help me out, and I think the kids really enjoyed him. I told them about how I had learned about Jesus during Sunday School and Vacation Bible School and that He is the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I hope they can say the same thing someday. They were a great group of kids, quite attentive for a group of twenty-five five-year-olds! And quite funny too. When I asked them what they would buy if they had a million dollars, my favourite answers were, "A van for my mom big enough to hold all the kids here... with a hot tub in the back!" and "Two diamonds THIS big..." (about two feet high). And so I survived, and the kids did too! (And can I just say how wonderful - how encouraging and supportive my co-teacher was? God bless her!)

Fifty-five dollars later, I finally got a swimsuit and took Lysa and Layni to the pool for the first time this summer. Lysa loves the wave pool - totally doesn't mind getting smacked in the face with water, while I'm there freaking out... don't splash in my eyes, not the eyes! Of course, later that week, both Lysa and I came down with a nasty cold. I slept for twelve hours straight one night; I was pretty much a zombie for a couple days. Still a bit of a cough and sniffles, but feeling much better!

Marty and Jolie took Layni and Mattias to Merritt to visit her family for a few days, while Lysa and I stayed home and recovered - and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Well, I did, anyway. I think Lysa enjoys the chaos; it's like comforting background noise to her now! I indulged an urge to bake, making blueberry muffins (didn't turn out as good as my mom's) and chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting... from scratch, not a mix, people, from scratch. And now that everybody's back, Jolie and Marty have begged me to never bake again as they inhale the goodies and curse their expanding waist lines, haha!

I'm on my last book in the Anne of Green Gables series, Rilla of Ingleside. Perhaps, I'll re-read my favourite L.M. Montgomery novel, The Blue Castle, next... it is in my opinion, the ultimate romantic fantasy - even if his name is Barney!

The last couple of weeks, I've felt stressed out, sick, sad, and homesick (as it was this time last year I was visiting my family in NB, and I still have two more months to wait this year)... and guilty for struggling with depression when people have so much more to deal with in life than I do. But I'm trying to enjoy the sunshine and good books and loving friends and be grateful for all my blessings, and leave the rest to Jesus.

No comments: