Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Here I Am!

Had a good flight yesterday - the only drawback was that the movie system was experiencing "technical difficulties" so I didn't get to see the end of Prince Caspian, whose accent I found distracting in its inconsistency; otherwise, I was enjoying the movie, despite how it differed from the book, which Layni and I finished on Sunday. I got in at 12:30 AM, visited with my parents for a couple hours (well, my dad went to bed after half an hour) and slept in this morning. This afternoon, mom and I went to one of my favourite stores, Giant Tiger, where I got a whole wardrobe for $40, including a $2.00 pair of jeans, several tops for $1.00 and $2.00, and three pair of shoes that came to $11.00 between them. I love the shopping in New Brunswick! And we didn't even get 1/4 of the way through the store! Tonight, my dad barbecued steak and baby potatoes from his garden and afterward, my brother and his wife came for a visit. It was a great day full of simple pleasures with my family.

I'm a little traumatized though, because my parents have decided to replace the siding on the house. It will no longer be the little (pale) yellow house across from the airport... it will be a non-distinctive beige/brown. I've lived in this house all my life (well, visited for the past ten years)... what will I do when they get even more drastic and sell it?! I love the big maple tree in the front yard and the "little" maple tree (which was little when I was little and is now huge) on the right side of the driveway. I love the new squeaky swing my father made this year to replace the old, falling-apart squeaky swing. I love my parents' flower and vegetable gardens and our deck that my dad built, that is lovely for eating out on nice days. I have been really blessed to have had the stability and security of a house that has also been a home all the years of my life... not just because of the house, but the wonderful people in it. I love my parents and my brothers, and I am so blessed that God gave these particular people to be my family - they're not perfect but we're wonderfully imperfect together!

P.S. I do miss our crazy household... someday when we're rich (haha!), I want to bring Jolie and her mom and the girls out to see my beautiful province and all the special places from my growing-up years - and all the special people, of course!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds wonderfully idyllic! I'm glad you're there safely and by the sounds of it, having a great time.