Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Tried to be a Good Citizen...

Okay, I will admit right off I am not the most politically savvy person in the world, to say the least. However, I do make the effort to vote as I know we are a privileged country to have that freedom, which I am very thankful for. So, knowing I would still be on vacation on October 14th when the election is held, I made the effort to go to our local electoral office to vote by special ballot the day before I flew out. I even had to go home and get a bank statement with my current address and return, so I could vote. I was ushered behind the little cardboard cubicle on the desk and took out my special ballot and was confused. It said simply, "Write the initials or name of the person you are voting for and put this ballot in the envelope." Usually, they have the names of the candidates and you simply check the box beside the person you are voting for. So in my confusion and ignorance, I wrote the name of the leader of the party I was voting for instead of the municipal candidate (whose name, quite frankly, I did not know.) After telling various people about this strange ballot and being told I probably voted wrong but they didn't know why it was set up like that, I called my local electoral office in BC. I discovered that my vote is "spoiled" as she said, and won't count, due in part to my ignorance and their failure to follow procedure. The official ballots with names were just printed this past Saturday because up until that date people can still put their names in the running. What was supposed to happen before I voted was that I should have been shown a piece of paper with all the candidates up to that point, which I never was shown. She told me, "Good for you for trying though!" Small consolation. Well, now I know for next time, though I wonder how many other ignorant people miscast their vote as well. I'm not sure if I want to think I was the only one that ignorant with a wasted vote or not!

4 comments:

Maria said...

Brutal!

Maria said...

Not you... the system.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

How strange...I've never heard of writing the initials. Well, anyhow, it's the effort that counts and you are an upstanding citizen for sure.