Friday, March 20, 2009

For the Love of DeeDee

Today I temporarily overcame my aversion to the crowded, germy public swimming pool so that DeeDee could have one fun outing on Spring Break. This week has been mostly rainy so we haven't been able to get out for walks every day, like we'd like to. DeeDee and I were able to get out once to the library to get some books and then stopped at McDonalds so she could get her chocolate sundae; otherwise, the poor kid has been stuck inside all week, though she has been happy listening to her music, watching her FourSquare DVDs, reading stories and playing on the Priory Woods website. She is such a great kid; maybe it's not fair to compare, but I really wish her happy, positive attitude would rub off on the other two!

Anyway, Marty and I took all three kids to the Hyde Creek pool (it was the first time there for me and DeeDee, as it's not within walking distance, of course!) this afternoon. Much to my and DeeDee's disappointment, the water slide was closed down for some reason, but we had lots of fun splashing and playing in the pool anyway. I don't know if it's just been a long time since I've been to the pool (last summer) or if Hyde Creek is worse than the one here by the library, but the chlorine had my eyes stinging and me coughing my lungs up... Layni had some bad coughing fits too, but it didn't seem to bother DeeDee at all. We stayed for a couple of hours and I'm sure DeeDee would have happily stayed longer... she loves the water! Isn't it funny how when you're a kid, going to the pool is so exciting and fun, but as an adult, it's so gross? Or is that just me?!

Oh, and it was so weird - at one point, we looked out the windows, and it looked like a hurricane outside, sheets of rain and trees doubled over from the wind. By the time we drove home though, it was clear with patches of blue sky and a hint of sun. The weather is so wacky nowadays!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I think Hyde Creek is over-chlorinated. I can hardly watch the girls on the deck without my eyes getting all bloodshot - never mind the rare occasion when I go in!